The Treachery of Images Paint

- 06.57

Perfume City Forums • View topic - Painting my room!
photo src: www.perfume-city.com

The Treachery of Images (French: La trahison des images [la t?aiz?? dez ima?], 1928-29, sometimes translated as The Treason of Images) also known as This Is Not a Pipe and The Wind and the Song, is a painting by the Belgian surrealist painter René Magritte.


MLTR - Paint My Love (Lyric) - YouTube
photo src: www.youtube.com


Maps, Directions, and Place Reviews



Description

The picture shows a pipe. Below it, Magritte painted, "Ceci n'est pas une pipe.", French for "This is not a pipe."

The famous pipe. How people reproached me for it! And yet, could you stuff my pipe? No, it's just a representation, is it not? So if I had written on my picture 'This is a pipe', I'd have been lying!


Paint My Photos Video



Context

Magritte painted The Treachery of Images when he was 30 years old. It is currently on display at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. The theme of pipes with the text "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" is extended in Les Mots et Les Images , La Clé des Songes, Ceci n'est pas une pipe (L'air et le chanson), The Tune and Also the Words, Ceci n'est pas une pomme, and Les Deux Mystères.

The painting is sometimes given as an example of meta message conveyed by paralanguage. Compare with Korzybski's "The word is not the thing" and "The map is not the territory".

Source of the article : Wikipedia



EmoticonEmoticon

 

Start typing and press Enter to search